Thursday, June 11, 2009

Theory of the Leisure Class

Thorsten Veblen had one, but I think I prefer the Richard Yates/Sam Mendes variation.
It starts with a dance:


“What do you do?”

“I’m a longshoreman.”

“No, I mean really.”

“I mean really, too.”

“Starting Monday, though, I’ve got a better job. Night cashier in the cafeteria.”

“Well, but I don’t mean things like that. I mean, what are you interested in?”

“Honey─” (And he was still young enough so that the audacity of saying “Honey” on such short acquaintance made him blush) “─Honey, if I had the answer to that one, I bet I’d bore us both to death in half an hour.”

I moves to a fight:

"So now I'm crazy because I don't love you, right? Is that the point?"
"No! Wrong! You're not crazy, and you do love me. That's the point, April."
"But I don't. I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at a party once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream."

"Oh, come on, stop this April."
[He touches her for an instant and she screams at the top of her lungs before walking away. He chases after her]
"Fuck you, April! Fuck you and all your hateful, goddamn - "
[He breaks a chair against a wall]
"What are you going to do now? Are you going to hit me? To show me how much you love me?
"Don't worry, I can't be bothered! You're not worth the trouble it would take to hit you! You're not worth the powder it would take to blow you up. You are an empty, empty, hollow shell of a woman. I mean, what the hell are you doing in my house if you hate me so much? Why the hell are you married to me? What the hell are you doing carrying my child? I mean, why didn't you just get rid of it when you had the chance? Because listen to me, listen to me, I got news for you - I wish to God that you had!"

You did it to yourself, man, you should have gone to Paris. "It takes backbone to lead the life you want, Frank."

Sam, Mendes, you are a god at capturing the hopeless emptiness of suburbia.

"Hopeless emptiness. Now you've said it. Plenty of people are onto the emptiness, but it takes real guts to see the hopelessness."

Remember this little gem?



My hat goes off to you Mendes


-Bohemian Dandy



No comments:

Post a Comment